Friday, March 13, 2009

I read banned books but I am unable to consign them...

I'm a fan of nostalgia. I enjoy the silly emails "You know you are a child of the 80's if..." and have watched VH1's "I love the [insert decade]." I am jealous of my friends Rhonda, Lex, & Danielle for attending not one, but 2 NKOTB reunion concerts! I loved my friend Moe's college picture posts.

I also LOVE to read. I always have a book in my purse and a pile of books "on deck." Perhaps this is why I jumped on the suggestion to read "Everything I know about being a girl I learned from Judy Blume." I nestled into the couch on a rainy Sunday thrilled to be reminded of books from my childhood. However, what I found was essay after essay about a Blume book I did not remember. "Forever?" I promptly put the other book aside until I could locate a copy and digest "Forever." For those of you unaware of the book, it is Judy Blume's sex book. She ignored the G-rated norm and wrote about high school students discovering their bodies and experimenting with sex. This is one of the two books (the other being "Deenie") that led to Judy Blume being one of the most banned authors. I honestly expected the book to be more graphic, more raunchy, and less socially responsible than it was. (We'll save this particular soap box for another blog.)

ANYWAY, fastforward another couple of weeks. I took a pile of books into a local used bookstore to consign. Upon checking out the clerk said, "Ma'am, I will accept the other books but I WILL not take this book." She slapped my copy of "Forever" on the counter. She then proceeded to tell me that there were words in the book she did not feel were appropriate for children and that she had actually written the author when the book was first published. (Nevermind the fact that the main character insists on using protection and even makes herself an appointment at Planned Parenthood. A responsible move??) She also said, "We do not sell this type book in my store." At that moment, the other customers looked up, probably curious about the smut I was trying to sell. She finished my order and then placed "Forever" (the 100 page book) in a brown sack. I had to laugh as I walked out with my banned book past the aisles of romance novels. Irony?

I have laughed and laughed about the exchange. I've had suggestions from friends about trying to consign other banned books to see the reaction. Another friend said she might go in the store and ask specifically for "Forever." I will admit that I am bothered by a bookstore that censors the content, but choose to laugh at the situation.

So, if you are interested in reading my contraband, it's at my house in a brown bag. I ought to proudly display the book in a prominant place but admit I might hide it again until Logan is older. ??

2 comments:

Jenn said...

That's...um, awesome. People see morality in such black and white terms, that a book educating kids on responsible sex and not on hiding their bodies in shame is "filth" or "smut", but romance novels are harmless fantasies. I'd argue--as you would too, probably--that those novels are probably more harmful than Judy Blume ever was. Soapbox aside, that's pretty funny. I hope to aspire to such a level. :)

Anonymous said...

I would like to borrow your banned book. Immediately. :)

I am seriously not kidding. Maybe I can find it on ebay if not from you.