Friday, March 13, 2009

Making connections

We moved into our house a month ago. I wish I could say we had unpacked all the boxes and were fully settled. However, I'm realistic. When moving out of our house in Savannah I found things I hadn't unpacked since we lived in Arkansas. (5 years before!) I have a list a mile long of projects I want to plow through in the house but am forcing myself (and being forced by my husband) to take things in stride. The paint in the living room and extra bedroom will wait. We won't get Logan's bedroom furniture for a few months. The furniture for the hearth room has yet to be discovered. I haven't hung all of the pictures. Etc, etc, etc.

I'm feel anxious to feel at home. I think I've confused unpacking with settling in. I still feel in transition. To be honest, I think I've grown accustomed to feeling in transition. Let's face it, the Geiers have lots of experience with living until the next event. (For example, waiting to graduate, waiting to move to Virginia, waiting to move to Georgia, waiting for and then through deployment #1, pregnancy, waiting for and then through deployment #2, job searches, home selling, home buying, etc.) I wonder if this is the way all families feel? Always looking for what is around the next bend? I recognize I've grown cynical through our military days and am slowly sloughing off the old "tude" in an effort to "live in the now." (Cue my closest friends and family laughing. "Lauren not worrying about the future!? Ha ha!")

I hope we find a church home and begin making friends in the near future. As I search for a long term job and Trey continues to meet those in his network, we will become more connected. That is what I am ultimately yearning for...connection. Connection to my friends & family, connection to my home, neighborhood, & community, and connection to the present. It can come...it will come. Just around the bend.

No comments: