Monday, May 17, 2010

A'hoy matey!

I found a box in the attic and decided to haul it downstairs for Logan to play with. I expected him to make a car or airplane but he immediately deemed the box a pirate ship. Excited by his creativity, I pulled out a cardboard tube that has been propped in the corner of the garage escaping trips to the recycling center and an old pillowcase. Logan cut pictures out of magazines and glued them on the side for decoration. I bet you've never seen a pirate ship with pictures of eyeglasses, children, and magnolia blossoms!? He colored with markers and wrote the letter 'L' all over both the inside and the outside of his vessel so everyone at sea knew this beauty belonged to Logan. His colored the bottom of his boat brown, as well as his right foot. Not sure why, but he did. Thank goodness for washable markers! At one point he decided he needed one of Daddy's tools to finish the boat and brought in a screwdriver from the garage. He then proceeded to punch holes in the sides of the boat so the water could get in. Apparently he had hopes of diving for this boat??









Finally, after 2 solid hours of prep the mighty ship was finished! We broke a juice box over the stern to bless the ship and the captain was ready to sail. He instructed me to return to the living room so he could depart without an emotional farewell. From my looking point I watched my pirate climb into his boat, prepare his oars (wooden spoons), and look left and right. At that moment I was proud and content. Then my genius son said, "Wait! There's no water! Mommy, how I'm going to sail the boat with no oceans?" Yep, that's my smart boy!

No comments: