Friday, May 14, 2010

All boy...



I used to cringe when I heard someone say "She's all girl" or "He's all boy." I have been determined to provide Logan with gender-neutral toys & activities as well as traditionally feminine toys & activities in addition to his boy toys. He loves to cook with me, play with his kitchen toys, do art projects, play dress up, and love on animals. I see nothing wrong with balls, sticks, rocks, and trucks but make a concerted effort to not pigeonhole Logan into playing a certain way. Imagine my anger towards a former daycare provider when Logan came home sad because he could no longer dance with his arms above his head because that is how girls dance. C'mon people...he's 3 and gets to dance however he may choose! I favored dolls as a kid but also enjoyed playing in the dirt, camping, and catching frogs...and I knew that was ok.

HOWEVER, I can't and won't ignore the fact that my son is "all boy." Yep, pretty much. He may enjoy cooking with mommy but if a ball happens to pass his line of sight, the kid is gone. He is sports OBSESSED! (see previous blogs about his love for soccer!) If he can't find a ball to play with he improvises. Did you know empty margarine containers make great hockey pucks? Or that daddy's army helmet (shhh, daddy doesn't know this one yet...) is a great way to catch launched tennis balls?

We spend a lot of time outside exploring nature. One nature walks Logan will tell me to "listen with your ears, smell with your nose, and look with your eyes." We have observed squirrels "playing" (love was in the air...I went for the more G-rated explanation...there is plenty of time for the truth later on), tadpoles growing, birds laying eggs, and flowers blooming. I've noticed an increase in the number of rocks and sticks in his pockets and dirt under his fingernails. On a recent walk on the Tucker Creek Bike Trail in Conway we parked the bike and stood close to the water to watch minnows and water bugs. Two different people stopped to tell us we'd better get out because there were snakes around. (Really!? Snakes outside...get outta here!? ) I thanked them and grumbled to myself. I'd much rather Logan learn to respect nature than fear or ignore it. (Soapbox #232) Last week Logan wandered into my parent's kitchen from the backyard and told my mom "Sweet P, look at the snake skin I found!" Yep, he found a snake skin...with the snake still attached! Since the snake was dead and my mom is no pansy, she told Logan to go show his Granddude. Dad now calls him the snake handler. We've had several talks about how it is not wise to touch snakes unless a grownup says it is ok first. Yesterday, Logan walked into my kitchen holding a dead lizard by the tail (are there live animals around anymore?) and said "Mommy, we need to tell 'Dude that this is not a snake." Two days ago Logan released a frog in our house 20 minutes before it was to be shown (the house, not the frog). The pool has provided bunches of frogs lately to play with!



So, in summary. Logan chooses balls, dirt, rocks, sticks, and reptiles/amphibians over dolls & art. I'm ok with it but will continue to offer him opportunities to explore a variety of toys/activities in the future. In the meantime, I'm checking his pockets every time he comes inside because I REALLY don't want to launder an amphibian!

No comments: