Monday, May 17, 2010

Lichterman Nature Center - Apr 16






I lost the cord that connects my camera to the computer and the memory card reader stopped working too! I finally made it to Walgreens to get my pictures off the camera and onto a cd. My intention is to catch up the blog over the next week. However, we all know life may get in the way of this plan. Oh well!

Since the house still hasn't sold (moment of silence please...) Logan and I have alternated weeks between our home in the Memphis area and my parents' house in Conway. I am continuing to adjust to life as a stay at home mom and am in constant search of free/inexpensive activities for Logan. We are definitely keeping busy!

April 16th (see, I am behind!) Logan and I ventured out to the Lichterman Nature Center in Memphis. I'd read about the Nature Center when we visited the Pink Palace Museum last year with my parents and brother but hadn't made time to go. I was a little hesitant due to the price of admission ($6 adults/$4.50 kids 3-12). I have trouble paying to walk in the woods. Despite my concerns, we packed a picnic lunch, sprayed ourselves with sunscreen & bug spray, and head out to explore. Fortunately, my concern was a mute point because the center was having their semi-annual plant sale and admission was free. I can afford free! There are few pictures of this outing because Logan was not in the mood to be bothered by mommy's camera.

Allow me to plagiarize for a better description of our experience. The following is from the website:
Located in the heart of metropolitan Memphis, the Center features exciting new exhibits, lush gardens featuring native wildflowers and trees, and a tradition of excellence in environmental education set in the midst of 65 acres of lake, meadow, and forest. Home to a wide variety of plants, birds, reptiles, amphibians and mammals, Lichterman is an urban nature center, easily accessible to the people who need it the most, the people who live in the city. http://www.memphismuseums.org/lichterman-overview/
Lichterman Nature Center (LNC) was gorgeous! I immediately took a picture of the gigantic plant sale and sent it to my mother-in-law. Carolyn would have LOVED browsing through the various exotic plants available. Logan and I took the picture and were done with the plant sale. To each their own! LNC offers walking trails through a forest, meadow, and around the lake. The trails were well maintained and the foliage (yep, I went with a nerdy word here) was beautiful! Although there was a large school field trip on site, Logan and I didn't feel crowded or inconvenienced in the slightest. The most interesting part of the day happened when Logan and I approached the bridge over the lake. A staff member encouraged me to pick up a stick to "fight off" territorial Canadian geese. The geese had apparently recently laid eggs and were prepared to defend their nests at all costs. The staffer said "Your son's eyes are at pecking level so be careful." I have worked so hard to enforce the "no waving sticks rule" with Logan and had to change the game. Logan was pleased. I, however, was a bit on edge. Geese have never looked so scary as they did when they were a threat to my child! We survived and have a great story to tell! I did not stop to take pictures of the lake or geese out of fear my child would be maimed while I was distracted!

I was disappointed in the Backyard Nature Center. The building was large and had aquariums to display various native animals and initially looked great. However, upon closer examination, many of the aquariums only had replica creatures. A couple of the tanks were empty and a couple more displayed dead fish. Gross! There were great explanatory exhibits about meadow, lake, and forest habitats.

Overall the LNC was a fun outing and worth the price. I'm not sure we will rush back but will keep an eye on the paper for another free admission day.

No comments: