Monday, May 17, 2010

If you can't stand the heat...


I enjoy cooking under the following conditions:

1) I select the menu. I have recipes I'm comfortable using and only branch out when I so choose.
2) No complaining about my poor chopping, slicing, whisking, or basting skills.
3) Expect the kitchen to be messy when the meal is finished. I excel at making messes!
4) I cook, someone else cleans up.
5) I don't bake bread.
Logan loves to help me cook. He is a great assistant. He helps measure, pour, mix, and taste! Sometimes I give him a butter knife and a tomato to chop. I can tell he feels very important by the pride and special care he takes in chopping the tomato. His Grand and Big Phil gave him a gingerbread man apron for Christmas and it is essential that he wear the apron...even when making lemonade. Logan has a few dishes he considers his specialties; microwave s'mores, chili mac, and homemade pot pies. My intent is three-fold...first, he is willing to try new foods if he has been a part of the preparation and second, it is annoying when I'm trying to cook and he is underfoot playing soccer or wanting me to read so I choose to involve him in the cooking instead of battling for peace, and third, maybe someday when he is much older he will surprise me by cooking a dinner on his own!

I don't have any funny stories or touching moments to share but wanted to remember my little assistant someday when he no longer wants to hang out with mommy. I can't wait to see what we cook up together tomorrow!

No comments: