Friday, May 14, 2010

What a ride!

The other day Logan and I were headed to the grocery store. I walked into the garage from the house behind Logan. I pushed the button to raise the garage door and opened Logan's car door. I turned to tell Logan to climb into his seat but he wasn't beside me as I thought. I then heard a weak and pathetic voice say "help me." I walked around the back of the jeep to discover my child hanging like an ape from the now raised garage door! I rushed to him and barely caught him as he fell. Upon catching him I got an elbow to the eye which caused a bit of a shiner for several days! Logan looked up at me and said "that was a ride!" I put him in his car seat, closed the door, and walked to the drivers side. I got in and the adrenaline got the best of me. I yelled "Don't you ever, ever, ever do that again!" Logan then burst into tears and began crying for his daddy. I did my best to comfort Logan while calming myself down too! I've always been careful to watch him while the door was closing, not completely trusting to sensors but it never occurred to me that the door raising might be a hazard too. I suppose it should have occurred to me that MY son would be the one to hold on for a ride! If he had grabbed on to a crossbar higher than the bottom he would have hit the jeep on the way up and things could have turned out much worse. Or he could have pinched his fingers! Or he could have fallen on the concrete before I got to him! It was so scary!

Ten minutes later we were on our way to the store and the giggles hit. I had to pull over because I was laughing so hard at the image of my sweet little monkey hanging from the door! My hysterical laughing embarrassed Logan and he began crying for his daddy again. After another round of comforting words and pats we continued on our way.

Garage doors are dangerous going up AND going down. Lesson learned!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I bet that was so scary. Yikes!